St. Domenica Church fell under the jurisdictionof the Mdina Cathedral until it was declared a parish prior to 1436. A 1531 letter from Rome had nominated Matteo de Surdo as the new Parish Priest for the Church. In 1624 when Grand Master De Paule divided the island into districts, Dingli was joined to Hal Tartarni as one village.
The present church of Sta. Domenica is juspatronatus and was built in 1669 by the Inguanez family, in the back garden of a house called Djar il-Bniet – House for the Girls. It is located on Triq il-Ghajn. This church had a cemetery for un-baptized babies. The chapel was recently restored by the Baron and Baroness Carmel Apap Bologna of Mdina.