St. Mary’s Parish Church was built in 1605 on one of the highest locations on the islands. The belfries of the Church provide the highest viewing platform over the islands. Consequently, this church and the surrounding buildings are a landmark, and can be seen from several kilometres away.
The church is dedicated to the Assumption of St. Mary. Between 1678 and 1680, the Church was enlarged extensively, and then modified again at the end of the 19th century.